Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Goodbye Old Friend


The last couple of weeks have been kind of crazy. It all started with our 11.5 year old Chocolate Lab, Mandy getting ill and having to be put down. She was diagnosed with Cushings Disease almost exactly a year ago and we were managing that pretty well. But all of a sudden she lost interest in eating, which I found to be pretty alarming. She's been on a prednisone therapy for the Cushings and it has given her a tremendous appetite, so for her to not want to eat, I knew that something was terribly wrong. So, to make a long story short, after a weekend of caring for her, we put her down Sunday night September 21. 

Mandy was like my first born child, a dear and sweet dog. She and I competed in dog agility trials with the AKC. She had bad knees and ended up tearing both ACL's which required two extensive surgeries. At the same time, our son was born, so it worked out best that we retire from agility. 

Even though we have a five month old black lab puppy, Gary (named by my 6 year old after "Gary" in Spongebob), I'll always miss my girl. Thanks to all of you that sent your kind words of support. My Etsy customers are awesome and your e-mails really helped me get through a rough period. 

3 comments:

Taika von Peppendorff said...

I'm sorry for your loss. We had a lovely 11-year old miniature pinscher that had to be put down in July, and it still hurts :( Hopefully we'll get a new puppy sometime soon, but until then, there's a huge void in our lives.

Diana said...

Thank you. It's hard to believe that it's already been two months now that she's been gone. I've had a few very vivid dreams about her, so she's not too far away :) I'll have to post pic's of our now six month old puppy. I'm so glad that we have him, he's a busy boy but very fun.

Unknown said...

Mandy was a beautiful girl, Diana. I love the little gray hairs around her muzzle. She has a very sweet face.